SIDS and Kids SA is dedicated to saving the lives of babies and children during pregnancy, birth, infancy and childhood and supporting bereaved families.
SIDS and Kids SA wanted to raise awareness of these issues and their work with affected families to coincide with their principal fundraiser, Red Nose Day.
Key objectives of the campaign were to:
- Raise awareness of SIDS and Kids and its work in South Australia
- Raise awareness of an increase in deaths attributed to co-sleeping in SA
- Educate the general public, in particular new parents, on the most appropriate sleeping arrangements for their young children; and
- Encourage support for and donations to Red Nose Day.
Key activity included:
- Instigating two major media calls
- Identifying and liaising with key media through the writing and distribution of media releases and factsheets
- Coordinating breakfast radio drops of Red Nose Day information, cupcakes and red noses;
- Consulting with the Credit Union Christmas Pageant and generating additional publicity
Hughes PR also demonstrated its own support of Red Nose Day through Hughes PR social media platforms including Twitter, Facebook and Flickr and in the monthly newsletter, Hughes News.
"We found our working relationship with Hughes PR to be responsive and sensitive to our needs here at SIDS and Kids and the publicity exposure in the community was noticed and very positively received."
The Red Nose Day media call culminated in widespread coverage across metropolitan television and press.
Other publicity highlights included an interview with Amanda Blair’s Afternoons program, a photo and article with Adelaide Cabaret Festival performers wearing red noses in The Advertiser’s Adelaide Confidential, extensive regional media coverage of Red Nose Day and local events, and metropolitan radio exposure.
SIDS and Kids SA report that as a result of this media coverage, it received an increased volume of enquires and a high level of positive feedback on its safe sleeping campaign.