Leading Beerenberg customers down the Provenance Pathway.
When two of Australia’s iconic family companies, Coopers Brewery and Beerenberg Farm, joined forces to bottle the ingredients for the world’s greatest barbeques – beer and sauce, they chose Hughes Public Relations to develop a communication strategy to establish Beerenberg Coopers Ale Barbeque Sauce as Australia’s only true blue, home grown barbeque sauce
The Beerenberg Coopers Ale Barbeque Sauce was seen as a key product for Beerenberg and one which could be leveraged to achieve the company’s communication objectives and raise awareness of the Beerenberg brand across Australia in a cost-effective manner.
Objectives of all communication were to:
- Generate average minimum weekly sales of six units of Coopers Ale Barbecue Sauce from every Coles store nationally;
- Assist in securing similar shelf space in Woolworths supermarkets nationally;
- Establish Coopers Ale Barbecue Sauce as Australia’s only “true blue, home grown” barbeque sauce;
- Enhance the reputations of Beerenberg and Coopers as premium producers in their respective categories;
- Turn Beerenberg into a national retail brand;
- Position Beerenberg as Australia’s leading producer of premium jams and condiments through the promotion of the company’s heritage, values and quality products.
Implementation of the communications program consisted of the following key elements:
- Pre-awareness raising of the Beerenberg brand and its products through targeted media product drops;
- Trade launch at Fine Foods Sydney on 24-27 September;
- Consumer Launch at Tasting Australia, Adelaide on 13-14 October;
- Media Launch in Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide;
- Media publicity campaign: limited magazine advertising.
Within a month of the media launch the Beerenberg Coopers Ale Barbeque Sauce was its Number One selling sauce, with Woolworths stocking the product.
The trade launch attracted widespread interest and industry praise.
The media launches were also successful with food writers from some of Australia’s leading titles attending: Australia Women’s Weekly, Woman’s Day, New Idea and Real Living along with some of the key trade publications.
Media coverage has generated more than 21 stories in 17 publications with circulations totalling nearly 3.2 million across Australia.
The success of the product in Australia has opened up additional possibilities for export, with discussions currently underway with US distributors.